The Maryland Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the world’s largest breast cancer organization and provider of funds to aid in the awareness, prevention, treatment and research of breast cancer, will host an educational symposium as a celebration of sisterhood and survivorship.
Attendees will have the opportunity to learn about breast health and wellness, hear from local breast health medical experts and connect with valuable community resources. The event is free and open to the public. Advanced registration is required by September 18, 2012. Register online by visiting www.komenmd.org or calling 410-938-8990.
The physician panelists participating in the event include Dr. Sidney Barnes and Dolores Rhymer-Anderson from Atlantic General Hospital; Dr. David Walker from Peninsula Regional Medical Center; and Dr. Kerry Palakanis of Crisfield Clinic and Salisbury University.
Panelists presenting the ‘Life After Breast Cancer: Return to Independence’ Komen-funded grant program will include Dr. Cheryl D. Ortel, gynecology and women’s health specialist; Jennifer Hickman, acupuncturist; Dr. Marisa Carey, chiropractor; Elizabeth Dawson, yoga and integrative therapy; Leigh Ann Eagle, health and wellness director at MAC, Inc.; and Lea Cataggio, fitness coordinator at MAC, Inc. Speaker Carol G. Moore will present “Good Humor for Good Health,” and a Zumba Gold demonstration will be presented by Tammy Griffin and Sherry Hostetler of the Academy of Full Life Wellness. Community organizations and hospitals will have exhibits and provide information about local breast health services. A healthy buffet dinner is included. Registration is required as space is limited.
WHEN: Thursday, September 20, 2012
5 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
*Check-in begins at 4:30 p.m.
WHERE: UMES Student Services Center, Ballroom
11868 Academic Oval
Princess Anne, MD 21853-1299
About Susan G. Komen for the Cure® and the Komen Maryland Affiliate
Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever, and in 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure. The Maryland Affiliate is part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer. Through events like the Komen Maryland Race for the Cure, the Maryland Affiliate has invested $35 million in community breast cancer programs since 1993. Up to 75 percent of the net proceeds generated by the affiliate stays in Maryland. The remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research, often taking place at Maryland institutions. For more information, call 410-938-8990 or visit www.komenmd.org.
This record has been viewed 1028