Berlin, Md. – With 2016 just hours behind them, more than 879 revelers donned
their swimsuits or costume of choice and ran into the Atlantic Ocean at
Princess Royale on 91st Street in Ocean City for the AGH Penguin Swim. The turnout for the 23rd annual New Year’s Day event was fantastic, with more than $110,000
raised and counting in support of the programs and services provided by
Atlantic General Hospital.
“This year’s Penguin Swim was a great success. The weather
was ideal, the event was well organized, the participants were in great
spirits, and we all had a fun time raising money for our great local hospital,”
Michael Franklin AGH President/CEO.
The success of the event is due, in great part, to Penguin Swim chair Michael
Cylc, AGH Foundation Event staff Joy Stokes, Kam LaBrunda and Tammy Patrick,
as well as the support of the communities and resort visitors Atlantic
General Hospital serves.
This year’s crowd brought a wide array of costumes including a family
team of penguins, King Neptune, a mini-Clark Kent, and a clan of crabs.
As well as, the ever-present and incredible fundraising teams of Bull
on the Beach and Ravens Roost #44.
At last tally, the 2017 Swim has raised $110,000 for the not-for-profit
hospital, but that number may increase as final donations make their way
to the AGH Foundation.
The notables from the event:
Individual - Adult 19 & Over Division
- Craig Kettler (Leesburg, Va.), $5,150
- “Woody” Butch German (Baltimore, Md.), $2,191
- Lilliana Franklin (Berlin, Md.), $1,100
Team – Business Category
- Bull on the Beach (Ocean City, Md.), $35,645*
- AGH Poppin’ Penguins (Berlin, Md.), $2,202
- Jetseal (Bel Air, Md.), $250
*The Bull on the Beach team has contributed more than $460,000 to the AGH
Penguin Swim since it started.
Team – Community Groups Category
- Ocean City Ravens Roost #44 (Ocean City, Md.), $13,485
- PrengaPenguins (Berlin, Md.), $1,175
- It’s 5 O’Clock Somewhere (Port Jefferson Station, NY), $1,046
Individual – 18 & Under Division
- Nicholas Franklin, age 14 (Berlin, Md.), $1,100
- Max Ewancio, age 15 (Berlin, Md.), $640
- Samantha Ewancio, age 18 (Berlin, Md.), $590
Team - 18 & Under Division
- Team Parker (Gaithersburg, Md.), $500
- Team Cylc (Snow Hill, Md.), $388
- O’Jettskis (Ocean City, Md.), $325
Prizes were also awarded for the youngest and oldest swimmers and winners
of the costume contest.
- Youngest Penguin: Hazel Long (Berlin, Md.) (8 months and 23 days)
- Oldest Penguin: Papa Joe Gaffney (Selbyville, De.) (83 years and 10 months young)
- Best Overall Costume – “King Neptune”, Butch Lorditch
- Most Spirited – “Clowns in Pajamas” from Kylie’s
Penguins, the Rolfes family (Reisterstown, Md.)
- Most Creative - “Shark Eating Kid” from It’s 5 O’clock
Somewhere, Mike Schlegel (Breiningsville, Pa.)
- Best Little Penguin - “Clark Kent/Superman” Jay Kettler (Leesburg, Va.)
- Best Team/Group Costume – “Winter Princesses” from It’s
5 O’clock Somewhere, McKenna Schlegel, Sienna and Keera Pearce (Breiningsville
and Effort, Pa.)
Special thanks to our
event sponsors for supporting this year’s AGH Penguin Swim:
Legacy Sponsor “The Emperor Penguin” for 23 Consecutive Years
as Title Sponsor
- AGH Auxiliary
- Princess Royale
- Above Aerial
- Bluewater Development Corp.
- Casino at Ocean Downs
- Chris Parypa Photography
- Clear Channel Outdoor
- Direct Media USA
- Dough Roller Restaurants
- Fisher’s Popcorn of Delaware
- OC Wasabi
- Trond’s Pool Care, LLC
Coffee Beanery 94th Street
- Gismondi Insurance
- Guerrieri Family Foundation
- Impact Home Technology
- La Quinta Inn & Suites – Ocean City
- Sportland Arcade
- The Kite Loft
- The Voice Radio Network
- The Ward Museum of Wildfowl Art
- Wilmington University
- Burley Oak Brewing
- Chick-fil-A West Ocean City
- Funcade Family Fun Center
- Gregory & Associates, LLC
- Lollipop Face Painting
- OC Massage
- Ocean City Parrothead Club
- Ocean Pines Recreation & Parks
- Old Pro Golf
- Planet Maze/Lasertron
- Red Sun Custom Apparel
- Rosenfeld's Jewish Delicatessen
- The Bonfire Restaurant
- The Home Depot – Ocean City #2578
- The Original Greene Turtle Sports Bar & Grille
Many thanks to Chris Pappenfort and the Princess Royale for hosting us
again this year and to the many AGH Associates and community member volunteers
who helped make this event a success!
- Youngest Penguin: Kam LaBrunda, AGH Foundation Development Analyst/Coordinator
presents the Youngest Penguin, Hazel Long, and her father her award.
- Oldest Penguin: Papa Joe Gaffney of Selbyville, Del., accepts the Oldest
Penguin Award from AGH Penguin Swim Chair Michael Cylc.
U18 2nd Place Winner: Max Ewancio is all smiles after receiving his prize for 2nd place 18 and under.
U18 1st Place Winner: Nicholas Franklin received his prize for most funds raised
18 and under.
Adult 2nd Place Winner: Long-time participant “Woody” Butch German (left),
of Baltimore, Md., accepts the Second Place Prize for top fundraiser in
the adult category from Atlantic General Hospital CEO Michael Franklin
and AGH Penguin Swim Chair Michael Cylc.
Adult 1st Place Winner: Craig Kettler (right), of Leesburg, Va., accepts the First
Place Prize for top fundraiser in the adult category from Atlantic General
Hospital CEO Michael Franklin and AGH Penguin Swim Chair Michael Cylc.
Comm Group 2nd Place Winner: PrengaPenguins
Comm Group 1st Place Winner: OC Ravens Roost #44 took First Place Prize for top fundraiser
in the community group category.
Business Category 2nd Place Winner: AGH Poppin’ Penguins accepting their award from Atlantic
General Hospital CEO Michael Franklin and AGH Penguin Swim Chair Michael Cylc.
Business Category 1st Place Winner: Bull on the Beach team led by Phil Houck accepting their
award from Atlantic General Hospital CEO Michael Franklin and AGH Penguin
Swim Chair Michael Cylc.