Atlantic General Hospital Thrift Shop Expands
Just four years after opening its doors, the Atlantic General Hospital
Thrift Shop has celebrated an expansion of the store. The popularity of
the bargain hunter’s boutique, solely managed and staffed by the
AGH/HS Auxiliary, was almost instantaneous upon opening in early 2006.
Additional volunteers have come on board through the years to keep up
with the generous number of donations from the community and the steady
influx of shoppers.
In May, a grand re-opening ceremony was held to mark the expansion of
the thrift shop into the neighboring retail space, formerly a beauty shop,
allowing the Auxiliary to accept larger goods.
In addition to donating proceeds to the not-for-profit Atlantic General
Hospital to fund new services, the AGH Thrift Shop helps local residents
in need. Vouchers extended through various community agencies provide
professional attire for job-seeking women and clothe homeless families.
The AGH Thrift Shop committee hopes to do even more of the same with the
expansion. In addition to clothing, shoes, accessories, small knickknacks
and household items, the shop now sells and accepts donations of furniture,
computers and computer-related equipment, sporting/exercise equipment
and small appliances. All donations must be in good usable, working condition,
and tax donation slips are available. For more information, call 410-629-1447.
Caption: In May, a grand re-opening ceremony was held to mark the expansion
of the thrift shop into the neighboring retail space, formerly a beauty
shop, allowing the Auxiliary to accept larger goods. From left: Betty
Franke, Harriet Johnson, Susan McDonald, Beryl Whiteside, CEO Michael
Franklin, Jane Wolnik, Rose Felty, Janet Morse, co-manager Irma Malloy,
co-manager Rita Landis, Susan Bashore, and Joan Terry.