The 8th Annual Visions for Total Health Conference, scheduled for Saturday,
August 26 at the Ocean City Convention Center, is a day-long event of
presentations, exhibits and demonstrations centered around three themes
of environmental health, traditional medicine, and alternative and complementary
What began as a women’s conference has grown over the years to encompass
all aspects of healthcare. Planners designed this year’s conference
with the understanding that influences on the mind, body and spirit are
all important in determining the total health of an individual.
In addition to attending breakout sessions on diabetes management, breast
cancer, allergies and a host of other topics, conference goers can take
advantage of free massage and reflexology, free screenings for oral cancer,
blood pressure readings and body fat measurements, and learn the basics
of tai chi.
This year’s conference will also feature keynote speaker Dr. Bob
Arnot, internationally-known physician, journalist and author. Conference
attendees will have the opportunity to hear Arnot’s speech, “Be
Your Personal Best,” a presentation drawn from his more than 30
years of medical experience on three key steps that we can all take to
reach our goals and live long, healthy lives.
Arnot currently serves as Medical Anchor for CNBC’s dLife, a television
series dedicated to empowering the millions of Americans living with diabetes.
One of the most recognized names in the medical and health professions,
Arnot was formerly Chief Medical Editor and Special Foreign Correspondent
for NBC news. Arnot’s reporting has covered breaking stories ranging
from weight loss, cancer, and epidemic and pandemic disease crises to
the front lines on all major foreign developments, including the war on
terror and even the civil unrest in Sudan’s Darfur region.
Dr. Arnot will be meeting attendees during the book sale and signing furnished
by Barnes & Noble of Salisbury following the keynote speech.
The breakout sessions for the conference are as follows:
9 - 9:55 am
- What’s On Your Plate? -- Food Sensitivities and Allergies (Rm 201)
Jerrold Canakis, M.D
- Exploring the Root Causes of Cancer (Rm 202) Kim Furtado, N.D. (Doctor
- Is Your House Making You Sick? (Rm 203) Russell Queen, Artic Heating and
10 - 10:55 am
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options Panel (Rm 201)
- Kertrisa McWhite, M.D., Surgical Breast Oncologist, AGH •Mark Sobczak,
M.D., Radiation Oncologist, 21st Century Oncology
- Tai Chi with True -- A Peacable Place (Rm 202)
- Your Bays, Your Health (Rm 203) David Wilson, MA, Maryland Coastal Bays
11 - 11:55 am
- Your Liver, Your Life (Rm 201) Lee W. Klepper, M.D., Atlantic Gastroenterology
- Yoga (Rm 202) Georgette Rhoads, RN, RT, AGH
- Birds of Worcester County (Rm 203) Larry Fry, M.S., and Jean Fry, M.Ed.
1 - 1:55 pm
- How to BEAT the Risk of Type 2 Diabetes (Rm 201) Darby Schaub, AGH
- The Healing Power of Touch (Rm 202) True’ly Tiger Lilly, CMT
- The Environmentally Responsible Homeowner (Rm 203) David Wilson, MA, Maryland
CEUs will be offered for registered nurses, social workers, addictions
counselors and dietitians for the traditional medicine and alternative
and complementary healthcare tracks. Admission is $5.00. Interested individuals
can pre-register by calling 410-641-9479. For more information about the
conference, please contact Joanne Dean at 410-641-9268 or visit www.atlanticgeneral.org
and click on Visions for Total Health.